Effective Date 23rd November 2020
Innovative Hand Therapy and Scar Management is committed to providing quality Hand Therapy and Scar Management services to you. This policy outlines our obligations to you in respect of how we manage your Personal Information and Privacy.
We have adopted the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) contained in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (the Privacy Act). The APPs govern the way in which we collect, use, disclose, store, secure and dispose of your Personal Information.
A copy of the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) may be obtained from the website of The Office of the Australian Information Commissioner at www.aoic.gov.au
What personal information we collect and why
When Innovative Hand Therapy and Scar Management collects Personal Information we will, where appropriate and where possible, explain to you why we are collecting the information and how we plan to use it. We will also gain consent the use and disclosure in accordance with the APPs.
Innovative Hand Therapy and Scar Management collects your Personal Information for the primary purpose of providing our best possible health services.
Innovative Hand Therapy and Scar Management also use it for directly related business activities, such as financial claims and payments, practice audits, accreditation, quality assurance, staff education and training.
Personal Information is information or an opinion that identifies an individual. Examples of Personal Information we collect include names and contact details. Sensitive information is defined in the Privacy Act to include information or opinion about such things as an individual's family history and health history.
The personal information Innovative Hand Therapy and Scar Management collects and holds generally includes but not limited to:
- Your name, address, date of birth, contact details
- Information about your health condition, medical history, social and family history, risk factors, lifestyle factors, medications, allergies, adverse events and treatment you may have already received.
- Third party details such as TAC, WorkSafe Victoria Claim Numbers, Medicare number or DVA number for identification and claiming purposes.
- Private health fund details.
Only Innovative Hand Therapy and Scar Management practice staff who need to see your personal information will have access to it. All practice staff have signed a Confidentiality Agreement as part of their Employment Contract with us.
Personal information will be used by Innovative Hand Therapy and Scar Management only:
- For the primary purpose for which it was obtained for health care
- For a secondary purpose that is directly related to the primary purpose of health care such as communicating with your referring doctor.
- With your consent; or where required or authorised by law.
How we collect your personal information
Innovative Hand Therapy and Scar Management will collect your personal information in many ways including:
Directly and in person during a consultation, over the phone, via Telehealth video consultation, by email, SMS, social media, through our website www.innovativehandtherapy.com.au online forms or by completing our hard copy registration and consent forms and referral forms you provide.
If it is not possible to collect your personal information directly from you, Innovative Hand Therapy and Scar Management may also collect this information (with your consent where reasonable and practical) from:
- Your guardian, relative, carer, parent or responsible person or power of attorney.
- Other involved healthcare providers such as your referring doctor, specialists, allied health professionals, hospitals, community health services and pathology and diagnostic imaging services
- Your Private Health Fund, Medicare or DVA, TAC or Worksafe Victoria.
In such a case, Innovative Hand Therapy and Scar Management will take reasonable steps to ensure that you are made aware of the information provided to us by the third parties.
Who we share your personal information with and when
Other than in the course of providing health services at Innovative Hand Therapy and Scar Management, or as otherwise described in this policy, our practice Innovative Hand Therapy and Scar Management will not share personal information with any third party without your consent.
Your Personal Information may be shared with third parties in the following circumstances:
- Third parties may include relatives, parents, children, close friends, guardians or the patient’s power of attorney.
- Other healthcare providers, for example:
- Innovative Hand Therapy & Scar Management’s staff may consult with medical professionals when determining a patient’s diagnosis or treatment.
- Radiology service to obtain imaging results.
- Innovative Hand Therapy & Scar Management staff may also refer the patient to other health service providers for treatment. These services may include but not limited to Physiotherapy, Psychology, surgeons, outpatient community services. Note: These health professionals are also subject to the APP act to preserve patient privacy and confidentiality and use the patient’s health information as part of the process of providing treatment.
- Third parties who work with our practice for business purposes (such as IT providers and accreditation agencies)
- Statutory requirement to lawfully share certain personal information, such as mandatory notification of certain diseases
- Court subpoenas required or authorised by law
- When necessary to lessen or prevent a serious threat to a patient’s life, health or safety or public health or safety, or it is impractical to obtain the patient’s consent
- During the course of providing medical services through My Health Record system.
- Use of Overseas Parties: Innovative Hand Therapy & Scar Management does engage with overseas entities, with which personal or health information would be transferred, appointed or disclosed. These include:
- Coreplus Practice Management Software
- Physitrack Online Home Exercise Programs
The aforementioned entities engaged overseas are subject to the legislative requirements as stipulated by the APPs.
At any time, a patient may decide not to have any personal information disclosed to a third party as stated or allow any third party access to or be informed about his/her personal information or circumstances
If a patient decides to be treated with an alternative health care provider who requires access to the patient personal / health information, Innovative Hand Therapy & Scar Management requires written authorisation from the patient. The patient needs to provide written consent stating authorization for Innovative Hand Therapy and Scar Management to transfer personal / health information to the alternate health service.
How we store and protect your personal information
Your Personal Information is stored in a manner that reasonably protects it from misuse and loss and from unauthorized access, modification or disclosure.
Innovative Hand Therapy & Scar Management endeavours to store and retain a patient’s personal & health information in an electronic record system stored on our cloud based medical Coreplus Practice Management server.
Your personal information may be stored at Innovative Hand Therapy and Scar Management as paper records, electronic records, x-rays, CT scans, videos and photos. Our practice stores all personal information securely and has strict protocols and policies to ensure your personal information is protected from misuse, loss, interference or unauthorised access: Electronic format is encrypted and password protected. Any Hard copy records and information is stored in secure locked cabinets. All staff and contractors must sign confidentiality agreements prior to commencing work with and for our practice.
When your Personal Information is either not deemed appropriate for the purpose of healthcare at Innovative Hand Therapy and Scar Management or no longer needed for the purpose for which it was obtained, we will take reasonable steps to de-identify and destroy your Personal Information.
How you can access and correct your personal information
Innovative Hand Therapy and Scar Management will take reasonable steps to correct your personal information where the information is not accurate or up to date. We will ask you at different times, to verify your information held by our practice is correct and up to date. If you find that the information we have is not up to date or is inaccurate, please advise us as soon as practicable so we can update our records and ensure we can continue to provide quality services to you.
You have the right to access and correct personal information that we hold about you, in electronic or hard copy format.
You may access the Personal Information we hold about you and to update and/or correct it. If you wish to access your Personal Information, please contact us in writing to:
Monday – Friday 8:30am – 5pm
Your request for access and/or correction will be processed within 30 days.
Innovative Hand Therapy and Scar Management will only charge a $5 administrative fee for providing a copy of your Personal Information.
In order to protect your Personal Information we may require identification from you before releasing the requested information.
How you can lodge a privacy related complaint and how it will be managed at our practice
If you have any queries, concerns or complaints about your privacy, please contact Fiona Moate, Director, Innovative Hand Therapy & Scar Management Level 2, 6 English Street Essendon Fields Vic 3041, Phone: 0405649611 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
You should provide in writing, sufficient details regarding your complaint together with any supporting information. We will take steps to investigate the issue and will notify you in writing of the outcome within 30 days from the receipt date of original written complaint.
If you are not satisfied with our response, you can contact us directly to discuss your further concerns, or lodge a complaint with the Australian Information Commissioner at www.oaic.gov.au or by calling 1300 363 992.
Privacy and our Website
Dealing with us anonymously
You have the right to deal with Innovative Hand Therapy and Scar Management anonymously or under a pseudonym unless it is impracticable for us to do so or unless we are requested or authorized by law to only deal with identified individuals.
Policy Review Updates
- Level 2, 6 English Street Essendon Fields Vic 3041
- Suite 7, Level 1, Plenty Road and Greenhills Drive Bundoora Vic 3083